Fall is considered the best season to enjoy Yosemite for those ‘in the know’. The crowds of summer are gone and gorgeous warm colors dominate the landscape. Warm days and cool nights are bug free and the sunlight is at its most dramatic this time of year.
Snow-free recreation abounds well into December, allowing for classic fall experiences throughout the season. Hiking, fishing and naturalist programs are ideal at this time of year.
Come enjoy one or all of our recommended Classic Fall Recreation Experiences.
Note that several of the items described below have limited capacity and should be reserved in advance. For more information or to make a booking, please call our Recreation Department at (209) 379-2606 x140, email us, or send a Recreation Request.
- Guided Fly Fishing on the Tuolumne and Merced Rivers and other nearby waterways and lakes is a spectacular option for experts and novices alike. Yosemite is one of the few places where you can catch as many as 4 species of trout, including the elusive golden trout. Fall provides great fishing as the summer’s high waters recede, yet remain cold with abundant food sources. Our guides can help you enjoy the serenity and beauty of Yosemite fly fishing geared to your skill level. Click here for more details.
- Guided Touring of Tuolumne Meadows and Yosemite’s High Country with our naturalist guides. Join us in our comfy van for an all-day outing to some of our favorite destinations. Your day will include the stops and walks to stunning vistas, an education on flora, fauna and the area’s natural history, gentle naturalist hikes and relaxation at Lake Tenaya. There will be options and opportunities to swim, scramble to the top of a granite dome, throw snowballs, build sand castles with the kids, or steal away for some quality alone time. Photo opportunities are especially impressive during the fall season. Demand is high for these outings so please book well in advance. Click here for more details.
- Naturalist Guided Hiking Trips are a spectacular way to get away from the crowds and see the scenery for which Yosemite is world famous. Lodge owner Dan Braun has spent twenty years guiding in the Park and these outings showcase his favorite destinations. These all day trips are our specialty and a wonderful way to get some exercise, see pristine wilderness, learn about the Park and earn your dinner! Space is limited on these fall outings. Click here for more details.
- Biking is a terrific way to spend a beautiful fall day. Join us for a Guided Bike Trip (downhill!) to spectacular waterfalls, or rent bikes and enjoy the seclusion of nearby fire roads. Click for more details on guided bike trips or mountain bike rentals.
- Geocaching is a new, fun way to explore the outdoors using GPS technology. You can rent a GPS device from us, get some quick training and then use it to track your explorations. Kids and adults alike will enjoy using the GPS technology to hunt for hidden treasures near the property and special sites and finds along Yosemite hiking trails. Click here for more details.
- Self-Directed Hiking opportunities abound, with the 4-mile round trip to booming Wapama Falls at nearby Hetch Hetchy a perennial guest favorite. The Preston Falls Trail, up to 4 miles each way, is another great nearby choice, as is the trail to secluded Carlon Falls. And of course, there is wonderful hiking and sightseeing in Yosemite Valley.
- Massage is the perfect way to unwind and soothe the body after an invigorating day’s recreation, or even after a day of loafing. We offer both full-body and shorter ‘chair’ massages. Click here for more details.
- Ranger Talks, are a fun, informative way to spend part of an evening at the lodge. Learn about bears, mountain lions and more. Check the week’s calendar for the topic and timing of the next talk.
- Campfires, S’mores & Stargazing at the Evergreen are great any time of year!
- Bellying up to the bar takes place in our tavern or fireside - our bartenders will be your guides for this challenging but inspiring activity. Or, if you're in the Valley, stop in at the Ahwahnee Hotel and enjoy the memorable setting.
- Walking our Nature Trail surrounding the property is easy and educational.
back to top
back to Recreation by Season