Regulars know the secret: Yosemite is an uncrowded winter wonderland with endless recreation options. We've created the following to help you plan and prepare for winter recreation in Yosemite.
Come enjoy one or all of our recommended Top Ten Classic Winter Recreation Experiences.
Note that several of the items described below have limited capacity and should be reserved in advance. For more information or to make a booking, please call our Recreation Department at (209) 379-2606 x140, email us, or send a Recreation Request.
- Guided Snowshoeing walks are offered by our in-house guide service to the Giant Sequoia Groves in Yosemite Valley as well as in the area immediately surrounding the lodge. Snowshoe rentals are also available at the Evergreen, allowing you to explore where and when you like. Click for more details guided snowshoe trips and snowshoe rentals.
- Cross Country Skiing is a wonderful way to enjoy winter in Yosemite. Bring your own gear and ski right from the lodge on nearby fire roads and trails or go explore other parts of Yosemite including Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point Road and the Merced Grove.
- Sledding on nearby slopes will make a kid out of any adult and is always a blast for children.
- Self-Directed Hiking is a year-round option at nearby Hetch Hetchy Reservoir, with the 5 mile round trip to booming Wapama Falls a perennial guest favorite. The Preston Falls Trail, up to 4 miles each way, is another great nearby choice. And there is always wonderful hiking and sightseeing in Yosemite Valley.
- Fireside Sitting is a favorite 'sport' at the Evergreen and you have your choice of three venues to enjoy a warm hearth, read a book, converse, play games or just gaze into the flames.
- Snowman Building in our Main Plaza showcases the fine work of our talented (and sometimes wacky) guests.
- Hot Toddy Sipping takes place in our tavern or fireside - our bartenders will be your guides for this challenging but inspiring activity. Or, if you're in the Valley, stop in for tea at the Ahwahnee Hotel.
- Massage is the perfect way to unwind and soothe the body after an invigorating day’s recreation, or even after a day of loafing. We offer both full-body and shorter ‘chair’ massages. Click here for more details.
- Downhill Skiing can be found at the country's oldest ski resort, Badger Pass. Though a ways from the lodge (1 ¾ hour drive), a day trip to Badger Pass can be a great excuse to tour the southern part of the Park, including Yosemite's largest sequoia grove.
- Snow Dancing is a little known activity that traces its roots back to the 1920's and the building of the Evergreen Lodge. Giddy travelers were known to do a little jig as they marveled at their good fortune under a winter moon and towering trees. Dance partners aren't required and the dance of choice is up to you.
Complete this winter decathlon and we can promise you a revived and happy spirit!
back to top
To ensure a safe and comfortable experience during winter, we recommend that you bring and carry the following items with you when recreating in cold, winter environments:
- Warm, waterproof boots
- Wool socks
- Warm Hat
- Waterproof gloves
- Waterproof jacket
- Waterproof pants
- Sweater or fleece
- Synthetic base layer shirt - not cotton
- Water bottle
- Backpack/fanny pack
- First Aid kit
- Area map
Though optional, we also recommend carrying the following items in the event of an emergency:
- Extra clothing
back to top
back to Recreation by Season